If someone you know is pregnant and deserves a treatment but you aren’t sure about pregnancy massage, you have come to the right place!!
I have been doing pregnancy massages now for 7 years. In my experience I have treated a lot of soon to be mums and they have been all very positive experiences. A big thing that isn’t spoken about is, massaging pregnant women in their first trimester. Generally, women can begin getting relaxation massages at any point during a pregnancy. However, many prenatal massage therapists like me, will not accept clients until the second trimester of pregnancy. The increased risk of miscarriage is a concern because of the increased blood flow during a massage might be harmful. There are pressure points in the body that are thought to initiate contractions or less likely to potentially induce labour. Because of this, many prenatal massage therapists as I , require a doctor’s release to work with women in their first trimester of pregnancy. This is very important and every mum or soon to be mother needs to know.
There are so many benefits for soon to be mums or mothers from pregnancy massage.
- Reduces Stress
- Reduces Joint and Muscle Pain
- Helps You to Sleep Better
- Reduces Swelling
- Boosts Blood Circulation
- Reduces Lower Back Pain
- Reduces Pregnancy Headaches
- Helps You to Maintain a Better Posture
- Helps with Hormonal Imbalance
- Reduces Nerve Pain
- Reduces Heartburn Symptoms
- Reduces Premature Labour Risk
- Aids Development of Your Baby
- May Help with Labour and Delivery
- Improves Immunity
- Boosts Your Mood
What happens in the treatment room after client forms are completed and discussed between client and practitioner?
- I will begin by talking to you about what my pregnancy massage involves and making sure that you’re comfortable with everything that I’m going to do.
- You can let me or any practitioner you see, know if there are any specific areas that you want us to avoid during the massage.
- I will recommend the positions that I think will be most comfortable for you.
- Then the treatment will begin. I will always check that you’re feeling comfortable and happy with the pressure that I’m using.
The first thing I tell my pregnant clients is to relax and not feel judged. A good massage therapist is not judgmental. The therapist won’t care (and won’t even notice) if you haven’t shaved your legs in a while. Massage therapists like myself see the human body like an artist sees a canvas. Our goal is to help you feel less pain and greater relaxation. Also your privacy is very important. A professional massage therapist will never ask you to expose more of your body than you’re comfortable showing. If you feel uneasy for any reason, be sure to tell your therapist right away. It’s important to hydrate before your appointment. Pregnant women require additional fluid intake, so drink a few extra glasses of water before and after your appointment.
Pregnancy massage is a must for all mums, I see the major benefits day in day out. And I couldn’t recommend it more! Come in and see us and get to know more about what we do and how we can help you!