Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
Carpal Tunnel Syndrome is a condition that causes numbness, tingling, pain in the hand, wrist and arm relating to the compressed median nerve. The carpal tunnel is a narrow pathway on the underneath side of the wrist made up of bones and ligaments through which the median nerve runs.
When the the tunnel becomes narrowed or when the tissues surrounding the tendons (flexor) swell, the medium nerve gets squeezed or compressed as it travels through to the wrist. This inflicts the pain, numbness and/or tingling.
- Hand and wrist positioning (extreme flexion/extension)
- Repetitive motions (hand and wrist movements)
- Hereditary (it may run in the family of having a smaller carpal tunnel in wrist)
- Pregnancy (hormonal changes causes swelling)
- Health conditions (Diabetes and Rheumatoid Arthritis – conditions that are associated with carpal tunnel)
- Occasional shock sensations
- Dropping things
- Pain at night
Benefits of Remedial Massage for Carpal Tunnel
Remedial massage is a great way to relieve some of Carpal Tunnel’s mean pain inflictions.
Helping reducing swelling and tightness that surrounds the median nerve can relieve 50% of pain. One session a week for 4-6 sessions has been proven to relieve a lot of clients’ pain and tension. Here are some of the other benefits massage assists with.
- Non invasive (no surgery)
- Cost effective (affordable treatments)
- Softening and lengthening muscles (helps relieve tight muscles)
- Adhesion release
- Trigger pointing (hitting the belly of the muscle for a quicker release)
- Stretches (stretches to keep you at your best at home)
- Self massage tips (therapist can give you an idea on how to get relief quickly)
- Reducing Inflammation (around joints and compressed nerves)
If you suffer from Carpal Tunnel Syndrome don’t let it stop you from living your life or doing the things you want to do!
Click here to book an appointment at Centre 4 Health and we will do everything we can to get you back on your feet (or hands).